Sainsburys van vs cyclist - cyclist ran over

Wednesday night was one to remember. After leaving work on my bike I avoided the normal route home because of the recent snow and ice and kept to the main roads. Cycling up the final street I stopped at the crossroad junction with my house almost in sight ahead to wait for a Sainsbury's home delivery van to turn right (approaching from the left) onto the road I came from. I was always taught to stay in the middle of the junction to go straight but can now realize how pointless that is.

I waited for the delivery van to cross over only to realize that the driver hadn't seen me at all and cut the corner to driving straight for me. There was no time to react apart from shouting ('hey!' and then 'help' I think though this sounds quite pathetic) then banging on the van's screen. Time slowed down weirdly and I remember seeing my foot go under the front wheel and my leg bending backwards. My bike at the time had disappeared under the van. I also remembered two ladies to my left having just finished a conversation reacting to the accident then later came to my rescue. I think I pulled my leg from under the van and someone wheeling the bike away to a nearby wall.

Whilst being guided away from the van by one of the ladies I suddenly noticed (by complete luck) a Police Community Support Officer next to us then the driver instantly apologizing. All I could say was 'Why didn't you see me??!' then almost ignoring his excuses. The pain in my leg made me think I had broken something though I had no prior experience. After I sat down I was either answering questions from the officer or being asked to wiggle toes etc. to check for breakages. The officer asked if I needed an ambulance which I almost couldn't think because of the shock.

Next I rang my wife Kerry who I knew was on her way back home from work with the reaction of complete panic. Whilst the woman who was looking after me used snow to fend off the leg swelling I remember thinking how dare she ask if the driver if he was ok. The driver had his own forms that needed to be filled but were only designed for cars.

The ambulance turned up in what felt like seconds with more injury questions and joint checking. Had the offer to go to the hospital for x-rays but I think we all concluded there were no breakages. The picture shows how swollen my leg got plus the rash where the wheel ran over. What it doesn't show is the other side of my knee where the ligaments were damaged. A few more official questions and form filling when both Kerry (in tears) and a proper police officer turned up.

Kerry had heard one of the ladies say the bike was a right-off so I was expecting either the front wheel to be bent, maybe the forks and handle bar and possibly even the frame. Kerry pushed it back home (who later mentioned the strained noise) whilst I finished up in the ambulance.

3am roadworks?!
With the shock subsided and the extra pillow added to protect my leg, I still couldn't sleep properly that night. The main reason was for the mystery noise outside from the street that sounded like someone hammering out an engine from a car or concrete steps being cleared of snow and ice. We woke to find the whole pavement outside our house dug up caused by a gas leak.

Nectar points?
With a day off at home to recover I wanted to check that the whole incident had been reported to Sainsbury's so I rang their call centre. Unbelievably their first question asked was to find out my Nectar card number. Still, it was all official and the they said someone would come back between 5 to 7 days.

Otherwise I've been resting the leg up, putting on the ice, taking the ibuprofen and pain-killers and feeling slightly sorry for myself. I miss my bike, I can't go out and I feel like I'm getting fat!

I also started thinking what should I be entitled to? Some medical expenses, taxi fares, repair to my bike? What's the going rate for pain, unable to walk properly and some depression?

This Citizens Advice Bureau web page talks about personal injury and what you can claim for.

Will let you how it progresses.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to insert a Twitter embedded post into Blogger

The Mighty Boosh new live show review