Eurovision Twitter

This year's Eurovision wasn't as good as last year. Not enough campness or LOL WTF moments with a lot of countries recognising that strange dancing, theatrics and dodgy costumes don't get votes. The semi-finals managed to uncover a few of these (my camp favourite was the Dutch entry) but didn't get through the voting net. At least the voting seemed a lot better.

What was different this year for me was how Twitter was used as an amusing side show of online heckling. I'd only used for random thoughts and personal status updates as well as the odd festival update. As we watched the semi-final I started using the right hand side search to see how many Eurovision # tags were being used. It was incredible with 100's of people Tweeting instantly their reaction to a country's song. I even picked up some followers from using country names as if I was going to mention their country again. I'm surprised the final itself hadn't overloaded the servers as every refresh of a country tag word revealed another few 100 responses in less than half a minute.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to insert a Twitter embedded post into Blogger

The Mighty Boosh new live show review