BHF London to Brighton Bike Ride 2010

BHF London to Brighton Bike Ride 2010Image by Ginger DJ via Flickr
Our cocktail party on Friday went quite well despite the weather and rubbish England performance. Didn't actually get to see much of the football with the bbq, firepit and cocktails to prepare. Then the rain started. The tarp across the pergola was a blessing and it didn't spoil the evening. Really appreciated that everyone understood the 3am curfew so I could get some decent sleep before Sunday. Plus no breakages!

Saturday evening was a sobering early night at 9pm with a sleeping pill. Beforehand I was searching for safety pins and packing bubblewrap with sellotape as I'd heard the courier transport would damage the bikes.

In preparation for the British Heart Foundation London to Brighton Bike Ride, Kerry had bought £15 of health and energy food including 2 huge chocolate bars at nearly £3 each. I'd use these later like the special dynamite for the steam train in Back to the Future Part 3 (though didn't achieve the 88mph for time-travel).

The 5am start wasn't as bad as I thought thanks to the Nytol but it was chilly wearing shorts. Slightly concerned that my back tyre was a bit down though I have 2 spare tubes in case. Only some late night clubbers and street cleaners were the only life around until I got into town with a mile of traffic cones.

Madeira Drive had a queue of cyclists waiting for the transportation. I had the feeling that people thought I was either bonkers or genius as I started wrapping my bike with bubblewrap though a BHF official was handing out pieces. Bringing Sellotape was best idea yet.

On the coach I could only manage to listen to some mellow French house on my Walkman. I left the banging prog house for the main event. First text of the day from my dad wishing me luck so Happy Fathers Day Mr Coleman!

Arrived in Clapham about 8:15am with the container lorry with our bikes right behind us so no hassles finding my bike. The bubble wrap and sellotape did it's job protecting my Giant XTC1 and so on to the start position. There wasn't that much to do really. Although the essential toilets were there I was expecting more like a coffee stand and certainly more food stalls. You could enter on the day though with BHF. To entertain the crowds there were four guys dressed as grannies riding converted Segways decorated as those pull-along fabric shopping carts.

Starting
With card stamped and my camera mounted to the handlebars for onboard video, I was ready for the startline for the 9:30am slot and managed to push into the front. The 9am was running late so we actually left about 10 to 20 minutes later (my YouTube video of the start). Still getting out in front was great and soon I was catching up with the previous group and weaving my way through the traffic. Ok, so it's supposed to be a gentle ride but my competitiveness and the buzz of passing was so good.

The first 10 or so miles were plain sailing getting some good speed with the odd traffic light stop. Officials were keen to get cyclists to stick to the left but like me others wanted to pass cars and get in front getting a few dirty looks from drivers. 12 miles in and we hit the first bottle-neck as the route takes a narrow lane into a hill. Its backed up with thousands of cyclists so there's absolutely no choice but to walk. Time to refuel and the peanut butter energy was delicious. Rumours said that there had been an accident so guessed it had been just ahead. Four miles later and another hold-up on another small uphill lane. I'm starting to get cheeky and cut down the sides whilst others walk patiently along. At the front there's no sign of an accident (well actually was a sign saying 'Accident Black Spot') but only marshals and police stopping progress. Within the 20 minutes of waiting I take a crafty toilet break and by this time it seems the rest of the cyclists have caught up and waiting behind us.

We're on the move again and I pass a couple of official stops until my stomach reminds me its way passed lunch so stop for a banana. Chat to a few people who like me are unsure where we are. At this point I realise my armpits stink. By now the scenery is really improving with some very pretty villages.

28 miles in (according to my bike clock though I suspect its wrong) we approach the most testing hill yet of Turners Hill and there's a lot of people walking causing general traffic messiness and personal frustration. The road narrows and we enter a strange village fete atmosphere of god botherers handing out free water and the joy of Jesus whilst the village green hosts the local brass band next to an oragnic food festival. I'm guessing Turners Hill doesn't get that many 'outsiders'.

Over halfway!
A few miles later I decide to have my last stop and refuel at another pretty village which I think was Lindfield. After the idylic bridge and duck pond I stopped at the village green where some clowns were entertaining the cyclists. They weren't your normal child's party or scary style clowns but more your amateur dramatic, part-time ones who were probably very polite and were village solicitors or accountants. Whilst sitting down I met a guy who was a little full of himself but rightly so. Last year he was 27 stone and now was 15 stone! This was his first big challenge of three with a 10k run later this year and a marathon next year. Good luck mate.

Towards Ditchling Beacon
After Haywards Heath there's another hold-up and a long wait. A Lancaster bomber with Spitfires break the boredom flying overhead and we're off again for only 500 metres before we stop. Another accident or most probably the same one but some marshalling confusion after Foxhill. Some riders get really cheeky and ignore the safety guy. A minute after calling out at them to come back we're off again. Somewhere before Ditcthling and the legendary Beacon, some duffle coated granny freaks me out motioning a hug towards all cyclists and mouthing we love you, thank you. As expected, more traffic and hold-ups and we're at walking speed. Luckily the road is totally closed with two lanes for pushers and peddlers (not the drug kind by the way). Somehow I've got enough energy after nearly 50 miles to do it and peddle the whole lot. It was very conjested having to weave my way through, pick gaps to squeeze through and test my patience waiting for the right moment. Quite proud of myself that I was passing some racers pumping away as I remained seated. At the top nearly everyone just wanted to stop and get in my way!



Brighton in the distance
Last stretch and no point waiting - I was pumped with adrenalin and raring to get home with it being downhill all the way to the seafront. I noticed Coldean Lane's 40mph speed camera was taped up to ignore the high speeds. Entering Brighton and passing my house was a good feeling and the thought of seeing the crowds and Kerry and co. was just pushing me to go faster. A couple of traffic lights on Lewes Road with one typical Brighton guy swigging his beer singing 'We are the champions' with the Queen soundtrack hanging out his above-shop flat window cheered up the crowd.

At the roundabout for the last corner opposite the pier I give Kerry a call to find out where she is. After the marshals let us go I peel off to the left towards the Sealife Centre side and get hugs and kisses from Kerry, Karol and Kev which made my day. The finish line was just metres away but I was still revved up with adrenalin and overtook a few more bikes. Received my medal then met up with the others for celebratory meal at Kemp Town's Tin Drum restaurant. Great day!



Photos below:


The Argus - Man dies after charity London to Brighton bike ride
Good route information website for London to Brighton
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to insert a Twitter embedded post into Blogger

The Mighty Boosh new live show review