Norfolk-ing way


The weekend was a return to the 'folk. Friday's journey up there was quite good apart from a 40mph average speed restriction on the M11. There were about 4 cameras along the stretch so every time I sped up over 40mph I had to decrease the difference and go about 30mph in some places. Listened to Pete Tong's Radio 1 show for most of the journey and couldn't believe how many re-hashed old tunes are being pumped out. If I was to judge the dance scene on that show no more proof would be needed to say that dance music was on its last legs due to self cannibalisation.

Saturday started very early with bright sunshine burning through the wafer-thin curtains. Even the t-shirt wrapped round my head couldn't stop the light. First stop was a catch-up with my mum who welcomed us with a present. It was a stuffed toy of a black panther. Speaking of black cats, my old cat, Sasha tugged at the heart-strings as he recognised me when I stroked him, purring like he was asthmatic. He must be around 11-12 years old which means he's a pussy pensioner. Mum told me he's been cowering all week from meeting a huge black rabbit that had escaped from one of the neighbours. I dread the day he dies for my mum's sake.

We invited my mum's friend out with us for a pub lunch. Charles has been around for a year and has had an interesting history. Although he's been really generous helping my mum (she's had both hips replaced), there's an edge to him with local gossip rumours, still living with his mum (late 50's/early 60's) and serious periods of depression from a recent divorce. Went to the George Hotel in Dereham to treat them for some pub grub. Classic Coleman clanger was giving Charles the sandwich menu. Kerry reminded me later that Charles couldn't read!

The afternoon was a disappointingly, cheap trip around Norwich's shops. All the decent clothes shops had nothing either of us liked which is quite worrying. More money for NY but concern that my favourite shops are turning for the worse (or even more worrying that I'm stuck in an age where my one style sell-by-date has expired).

The evening started with another new family friend to meet - my dad's new girlfriend, Jill. Didn't get the best chance to get to know her as we had to meet Josh and Christie but first impressions were good. Great to see them as usual with Josh retelling another CC clanger story of me having a go at someone saying "can't you read or something?!", later finding out he was dyslexic. Josh's new co-owned business had taken on some of its first customers. Memory Lane deals with turning life stories into new media on a DVD. As well as a local school celebrating a worthy anniversary, a WW2 veteran wanted to capture his war stories of saving some Russian scientists. Best line was the old chap asking if Josh did re-enactments ala Dad's Army. Josh confirmed that he didn't do that sort of thing.

Sunday was another pub meal with my dad at the Canary and Linnet in Fransham leaving with a promise to sell some of stuff on ebay.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to insert a Twitter embedded post into Blogger

The Mighty Boosh new live show review