Stunning finish (Day 3 filming)

I was getting used to this TV production lark so it was slightly depressing to know it would be the last day. Pub du Vin was our last shoot location and they'd picked a great function room with a multi-tiered, drinking glass chandelier.

Martin had already done his intro bit so we had to flick through our photos from our assignment and comment on them whilst being filmed. Despite using the Panasonic camera provided (which I bitched about on Monday) the photos ranged from ok to brilliant. The director had already picked his favourite dozen which I couldn't argue with. A few 'noddy' shots again from behind and the side before we met Martin again.

Slideshow
The second scene was to show Martin our selected photos in front of a huge Panasonic plasma TV (can you guess who sponsored this programme). Behind the telly was a guy pressing the laptop key to go show the next photo. The feedback was fair with a few constructive improvements suggested but a few more compliments would have been nice. One tip that I will take with me is it's vital to see the subject's face so to get down low for the shot. 

The reveal
After Susie's own collection we switch positions to do the 'reveal'. At some point, either the night before or in the morning, Martin had picked his favourite photos from behind both our selections and they were printed in A3 waiting behind a black cloth (as pictured). The idea was to record our reaction of which I was certainly surprised but they were all good.

Susie's photos were really good as she concentrated on the pier again for her assignment. Like me she found one busy spot at the Dolphin Derby capturing some colourful tourists. She had some better light than me being in the late afternoon when the cloud finally burned away.

Parr-ting comment
The director asked us to step outside as he filmed Martin do a final comment on our photos and perhaps ourselves. Well, we're assuming that and when Martin stepped out to say goodbye and invited us to the launch party of his photography festival in October, he said something slightly odd. I couldn't remember the exact words but it was something like he was tried to do his best to compliment us but he may not have succeeded. I couldn't quite see whether his tongue was actually in his cheek if you know what I mean. Susie suggested that maybe he thought we were both amazingly inspiring and his confidence in his own artistic expression has taken a cruel blow. We all know he was thinking that!

Final Lesson
The director decided to do the very last scene on the beach. I knew this point was coming and I still couldn't quite work out what to say. Reading back through my previous entries, I know I've learnt something more than I summarised and perhaps I had subtly been inspired by his presence and teachings. I found more confidence in myself when approaching people for photos and learnt the aspect of introducing a storyline concept for a collection to tie the pictures together, plus a few little tricks. However, I feel my main point for travel and holiday photography is that you don't want to hang around one single place but move on to see more. For Martin he may well travel alone and have the patience and time to concentrate on one area. Whereas for me, as well as taking photos, I also enjoy spending time with whoever I'm travelling with i.e. my wife and its unfair to her if I selfishly snap away.

Air time
'How to take stunning pictures' will be aired in mid to late September 2010 on Channel 5. 13th September was mentioned, a Monday which would tie in nicely with the Suzi Perry's Gadget Show being the channel's most watched programme. At the time, the production team did not know which order the episodes were in. They seemed stressed at the wedding filming episode with doubts of an actual wedding!
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to insert a Twitter embedded post into Blogger

The Mighty Boosh new live show review