Traktor Kontrol S4 Review

I thought it might have been a sad day when I sold my Technics SL1200s but it wasn't. The cash came in really handy for the gamble to go completely digital. I've been DJing with Virtual DJ 6.0 for a couple of years but I never quite had the control or flexibility to really inspire me. Sometimes tracks wouldn't beat sync right and the TK Filter FX would cause a program crash or trip out the amp. I can now say that the gamble has paid off and that with some hours put in can come away with an addictive smile after buying my new toy, the Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S4.

Check out this video to see its magic spinning:



Ok, so the guy in the video is a bit hot on DJing but after a few goes at the Traktor Kontrol I've already mastered some new tricks I'd never thought I could do.

So, some detailed analysis. The set up was relatively easy by loading up the CD then upgrading to the newer version (requiring some hefty memory). I've since found that the system prefers a certain USB socket on my Dell laptop. Plugging it into another causes some sound glitch every so often so make sure you try all sockets.

The physical unit itself is a lot bigger than I thought. Its wider than an average laptop but a solid design and build. I can now see how useful the flight case will be with its sliding top that coverts into a laptop shelf. At the moment I have it set up on the dining table and its a slight reach across the Kontrol S4 unit.

Basic mixing is very simple thanks to the robust Traktor software. Its come along way since its early days. The sliders and rotating buttons all feel solid as you'd expect from a good mixer. After cueing up your track to play next the play button is instant with no lag which gives you so much confidence.

The jog wheels are also excellent and the integration with the software is prefect. I don't really scratch in my DJing so won't comment on its ability but the control you have very satisfying allowing you some fine tuning to speed with a great indicator on the software. You can hardly make a move wrong.

One of the big things for me was the loops and samples ability. At first glance the Kontrol S4 has enough buttons to confuse an airline pilot. But, going through the manual's tutorials just broke things down into simple steps. The software comes with a good selection of free samples, beats and full tracks you can play with. After an hour I had set up 3 loops over a track and it just blew me away.

The FX took me awhile to figure out. I'm not sure if the PDF manual really helped or I was just reading it wrong. However, now its my latest thrill-ride to find a new sound effect to a track I might have thought dull before. I've also since sampled my own voice like in the video then looped it with some cool effects. I just hope the next live set I do won't end up as ear-numbing marathon of boring sound effects. If it does, at least I'll be smiling from it.

Another small learning point was how to record my set. Only by visiting the Native Instruments forum did I find the right advice. Perhaps the company rushed out the product without putting together a comprehensive software manual.

See Dubfire use the Traktor in Ibiza's Space club:


Finally, YouTube has some excellent tutorials on using Traktor Kontrol S4. DJ TechTools has a goldmine of lessons to be learnt on DVD but has a number of previews on YouTube:





Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to insert a Twitter embedded post into Blogger

The Mighty Boosh new live show review