McDojo Mafia?

Another skint weekend. Saturday had the worst timing of a down-pour of rain. Sunday I went upto Dorking to see the man behind the karate club I'm a member of. 'Kancho' Robert Sullivan was giving a rare class in the UK. He comes over from Australia about twice a year and created the Go-Kan-Ryu (GKR) club about 20 years ago. I've always been a little cynical about the club thinking its the McDonalds of karate with a pyramid selling business etiquette.

Bit of background for you. More than 2 years ago, my sensei knocked on my door 'selling' the club. His sales pitch was well rehearsed and practised though I always remember questioning him on some points with his responses just repeating parts of his patter which I just put it down to a hammy technique. Still, I wanted to get back into shape and was unimpressed by the other local clubs. It was reasonable too and within a few months I had removed alot of belly bulk. A few months in, I was asked to join the club's 'sempai' training scheme which meant the possibility of assisting and teaching lower belts but gaining better training and in some cases, free lessons. Hey, why not? I was chuffed that I was considered better than others though hesitant at the prospect of teaching a class. I'm still assisting with classes as I have no interest in teaching with its responsibility, just enjoying the cheap exercise and steady progress in my skill.

What I'm starting to object to now is that although I'm getting ok training from my own sensei, I feel the lower grades should receive the same training and not be palmed off by people like me. It just waters down the skill and knowledge.

Robert Sullivan, being the figure head of GKR must be the Ronald McDonald equivalent. The Kancho's background is anything but the mysterious 'master' image you'd expect say in old kung Fu movies. No wispy long moustache, no 'wiseman say' proverbs, just a middle-aged Oz bloke who used to be a policeman and was inspired by household cleaning products selling techniques.

Anyway, here's the juicy bit. I innocently found a chatroom thread ripping into GKR ethics summarised below:-
  • Kancho Robert Sullivan only got to blackbelt 2nd dan on two different style of karate then went to create his 'own' style.
  • He then graded himself to a higher grade and created his own certificate - that's like saying I've read a book on surgery, operated on a few patients so now I am a surgeon
  • Mr Sullivan has a helicopter and Scottish castle - confirmed by himself in his book
The 'mafia' bit of the title comes from a news article printed in a local Surrey newspaper. GKR make you sign a contract which states you're not allowed to teach karate after leaving the club for 12 months. What the article reports is that two representatives intruded a class ran by two ex-members and removed their belts in front of their students. There was also mention of money owed. My own opinion on this is why resort to intimidation when you can use legal channels.

The Kancho thing was a bit of a let-down. Interestingly, he turned up in his UK SouthEast Region manager's new Ferrari, got a round of applause as he entered the hall then had to autograph about a hundred GKR worshippers' books and clothing.

For a man nearing his 60's, he was definitely fit but we were expecting an exclusive lesson or something to inspire us. Instead he came up with combinations off the top of his head (nothing different to what I might teach low ranking belts), performed his own created 'katas' (sequence of moves) which lacked any real technical prowess I was expecting at his level, finishing with about 16 blackbelts having 1-to-1 sparring sessions which didn't show any flair or finesse. The same black-belts performed two high grade katas in front the 500-700 crowd. The first one was ok but the second split them into two distinct groups with different timings and just looked embarrassing. The day finished with a Q and A session with the old master but it was hard to hear what was asked and answered so just bored me rigid. Some of the stories he did mention related more to the rich lifestyle he's leading rather than enrich us with what he's learnt spiritually. The helicopter was also mentioned - apparently he crashed it!

Personal Update: 22 August 2011
I'm amazed at how many visitors I get for this above blog entry. It's been about four years since I gave up. I don't miss the pressure of having to set lessons, collect money and never being able to give up certain evenings but I do miss the training regime despite keeping fit with cycling. When I was a member GKR had been marketed as a family friendly club competing not just with other karate clubs but gyms or any type of exercise. This is great for those who might feel intimidated by other forms of karate but should also recognise that discipline they're learning is a combination of styles which might have been adapted for a commercial business.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice writing and v interesting. I did GKR for two years but the sensie and her cult use to insist on smoking by the dojo's door at the break and fill the dojo with smoke in the summer time. No one else seemed to mind - I must be just miserable I guess. I went to a Shotokan club a year and a half ago without any break in training and I am still going. A Ferrari huh!! Crashed the helicopter!! No wonder he needs the cash from his ex-sensie.
Anonymous said…
I have been doing gkr with my son for a year now and both of us have graded to green belt.I have never been under any illusions that gkr is operated with as much focus on financial reward as actual karate instruction.In reading most negative comments from other karate practitioners on the web,it appears to me that sensei's taking classes who do not hold the rank of black belt is unacceptable. GKR is heavily critisised for this,but i do feel that there are considerably more "competent" sensei's than there were a few years ago when all this came to light.My sensei was fastracked through an instructors course like many others,but he is an excellent sensei as are many others and acquired his black belt in december after 4 years of instructor training,however his assistant(also a sensei not sempai)although a lovely woman has,in my opinion poor karate ability and teaching methods,so i can appreciate that some do slip through the net and these people should not be left to run their own classes under any circumstances whatsoever.The fact is kancho sullivan had a dream and the drive to see it through,let's face it,he was never going to achieve it with 100 ready made black belts and it's structure although questionable was the only way he could ever expand his organisation and for this,at least from a buisness point of view he has done a superb job and gkr is now the biggest karate school in the world.It would also appear that now he has the people in place to run his karate empire,the grading procedure for higher grades 1st kyu and above is extremely tough and i know for a fact that one very competent instructor who was a 3rd dan in wada ryu actually failed his black belt grading in december.Unfortunately in the world of karate,although gkr are now being widely recognised as a competent karate school,the stigma of mc dojo's and poor sensei's may never be forgotten.
anonymous said…
From what I heard and read GKR is Mc Dojo club.
Unknown said…
GKR Karate is appealing to this day in age, their overwhelming numbers can be accounted for. Being a student myself and for many years, i turn up with an empty cup and i train towards my goals with graditude towards those that give up their time and energy to teach. Low grade belts don't need black belts to teach them and with no disrespect intended but not all black belts can teach (hehe) Teaching is a different skill entirely and for young kids its conditioning just to be in that emvironment. I think a positive attitude and not obedience but respect that plays a huge role in walking the path of a 'Karate way of life'. You don't need chief instructors for that, just some inner strength and motivation to work within any system no matter who created it.

Popular posts from this blog

How to insert a Twitter embedded post into Blogger

The Mighty Boosh new live show review